Essential Knowledge of Car Battery for Car Starting
Structure and Function of Car Battery
Structure: The lead acid battery mainly consists of positive (negative) plates, separators, electrolyte, container, connecting bars and terminal.
Function: It is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is a DC power source with functions as follows:
1. When starting the engine, it provides the starter with strong starting current (generally it reaches up to 200~600A).
2. When the generator is overloaded, it can assist the generator to supply power to the electrical equipment.
3. When the engine is at idle speed, it supplies power to the electrical equipment.
4. When the generator terminal voltage is higher than the electromotive force of the lead acid battery, part of the electrical energy is converted into chemical energy and stored, which mean charging the battery.
5. The battery is also a large-capacity capacitor, which can protect the electrical appliances of the car.
Reasons that cause damage to the battery
Generally the battery service life is about two years:
2. Store the battery for a long time (without charging during storage)
3. It can't be charged by car engine
4. No electrolyte
5. The electrolyte proportion is too high
6. Charge under high environment temperature
7. Contaminated by pollution source (for example, contaminated by hydrochloric acid, seawater, organic acid, etc.)
8. Overcurrent when charging the battery
9. The deformation of the electrode plate causes the positive plate and the negative plate contact with each other, resulting in short circuit.
10. Pollutant accumulates on the upper and lower part of the battery plate, causing short circuit
Just pay attention to avoiding the above points, then the service life of your battery will increase accordingly
Maintenance of car battery
1. The electrolyte level should always be kept between max and min, check once a month, and add distilled water (pure water) appropriately according to the drop of the liquid level, do not add acid.
2. When it is found that the voltage of the battery is insufficient and the light is dim and the starting is weak, it should be charged outside the car in time.
3. Prevent the battery from overcharging or long term insufficient voltage. Overcharging will cause the active material to fall off from the battery plate. Insufficient voltage will vulcanize the plates. Make sure that the voltage of the regulator cannot be too high or too low.
4. Always check whether the vent is unblocked to prevent the battery from deforming or bursting during use.
5. The battery should be kept away from heat sources and open flames, and should be ventilated during charging to prevent burns and injury.
6. Prevent the battery from discharging with high current for a long time, each start time cannot exceed 5 seconds; the interval between two consecutive start times is 10-15 seconds .
7. The battery should be installed firmly in the car to reduce vibration.
8. Frequently check whether the battery connection line is firm, and all live connectors must be in good contact to prevent sparks and explosion of the battery. The oxides and sulfates produced by the battery clamp must be scraped off and coated with petroleum jelly to prevent further corrosion.
9. Frequently remove the dust, dirt and spilled electrolyte on the battery cover, keep it clean and dry, and prevent self-discharge.
10. The cracking of the sealing glue should be repaired in time.
11. When driving in a cold area, prevent the battery from being completely discharged to avoid electrolyte freezing.